Introduction to research department
Research is organized learning, looking for specific things to add to one’s store of knowledge.
The Indian System of Medicine is of great antiquity. It is the culmination of Indian thought of medicine which represents a way of healthy living valued with a long and unique cultural history, also amalgamating the best of influences that came in from contact with other civilizations – be it Greece (resulting in Unani Medicine) or Germany (Homeopathy) or our scriptures which gave us the science of Ayurveda; Siddha as also Yoga & Naturopathy. Like the multifaceted culture in our country, traditional medicines have evolved over centuries blessed with a plethora of traditional medicines and practices.The Department of AYUSH under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, promotes and propagates Indian systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy, and is committed to infuse the wisdom of traditional medicine with the methodologies of modern science, scientifically validating the systems and presenting them in the scientific idiom, relating their efficacy to modern life styles. The Department has, over the years, developed a broad institutional framework to carry out its activities. The Central Council of Research in Yoga and Naturopathy (CCRYN), New Delhi is responsible for the officially sponsored research activities.
About recognition of our college as PhD centre
India’s first College of Naturopathy & Yogic Sciences was established in the year 1989 by SDM Educational Society(R), Ujire. This college offers a 5 1/2 years BNYS (Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences) medical degree course, Post graduate degree (MD) and Doctoral Courses (PhD) in Naturopathy and Yoga for the first time in India which is affiliated to the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bengaluru recognized by the Government of Karnataka. The College has an intake capacity of 120 under graduates and 20 post graduates students from 30 States and 4 Countries. More than 1200 doctorshave passed out of 24 batches and are well placed in this profession in India and abroad. The college also has the pride of being India’s first institution to start the three year Post graduate course (M.D) and Doctoral Courses (PhD) in Naturopathy and Yoga.
No. of research projects
|Sl. No||Project Title||Principal Investigator||Funded by||Grant amount||Date of sanction||Duration||Status|
|1||Effect of Fasting Therapy on Bio Chemical and Autonomic Changes in Obese Individuals – a Randomized Controlled Trail||DrPrashanthShetty, Principle Investigator, DrSujatha Co investigator||CCRYN, Ministery of AYUSH, New Delhi||Rs 20 Lakhs,||2015||2 years||completed|
|2||The effect of integrated yoga module on Cardiovascular parameters in patients of Hypertension||DrShivaprasadShetty,||RGUHS, Bangaluru||Rs 1.52 Lakhs||2017||2 years||Under progress|
|3||Effect of Hydrotherapy and Yogic kriyas on Snoring||DrSujatha K J||RGUHS, Bangaluru||Rs 1.39 Lakhs||2017||2 years||Under progress|
|4||Effect of yoga nidra in patients with Migraine – a randomized controlled trail||DrVineetha||RGUHS, Bangaluru||Rs 1 Lakh||2017||2 years||Under progress|
|5||Effect of yoga nidra in patients with Hypertension – a randomized controlled trail||Dr. Shalmali Sunil||RGUHS, Bangaluru||Rs 1 Lakh||2017||2 years|
CENTER OF EXCELLENCE BY MINISTRY OF AYUSH, GOVERNMENT OF INDIA (UPDATES)
- Center of Excellence for Clinical Research
- Name of the Project – Center of Excellence in Metabolic & Lifestyle Disorders
- Grant in Aid applied = Rs.10 crores
|01||Project Submitted||06-11-2012||Directed to Re Submit as per Revised Scheme Guidelines|
|02||Project Resubmitted||14-03-2014||As per Revised Scheme Guidelines|
|03||Presentation||29-06-2015||Directed for Inspection of the Institution|
|04||Inspection Committee Visit||27-09-2015||Report submitted to Ministry of Ayush, Govt of India|
|05||Considered the Institution for Center of Excellence with change in the name of the Project Nomenclature||15-02-2016|
Research guide ship
|Sl. No||Name of the faculty||Year of guide ship allotted||PhD guide/PG guide|
|4||DrSujatha K J||2012||PG guide|
|6||DrGeetha B Shetty||2014||PG guide|
|7||DrShashikiran H C||2015||PG guide|
|8||DrNandeesh N s||2015||PG guide|
No. of publications
- Naveen G H, Nithin K and Selva Kumar G. Management of Alcoholic Liver Disease by Naturopathy and Yoga Intervention: A Case Report. International Journal of Yoga and Allied Sciences, Volume: 3, Issue: 2; July – Dec. 2014
- BalakrishnaShetty, ManjualaShantaram. Heritability of body weight: An evidence for obesity. Int J Pharm Med Bio Sci. 2014 Jan: 3(1);15-20.
- Naveen G H, Shetty P, Goutham M P, Ganesh P B, Chethan R, Sangram P. Effect of Naturopathic Based Fasting Therapy on Liver Enzymes, Electrolytes, Fasting Blood Glucose, Weight And Perceived Stress Among Healthy Individuals -A Randomized Controlled Trial. International Journal of Yoga and Allied Sciences. 2014 Dec;3(2)
- Sujatha Dinesh and GangadharaVarma B.R. Immediate hypoglycaemic effect of two selective hydrotherapeutic procedures in non insulin dependent patients of diabetes mellitus. J Res Educ Indian Med, Jan.-March, 2014; Vol. XX (1):45-49
- ShettyPrashanth, H R Nagendra, GangadharaVarma B R, PailoorSubramanya.Effect of Naturopathy and Yoga Intervention on Patients with Type II Diabetes Mellitus. Online International Interdisciplinary Research Journal. 2015; 5 (1):320-329
- Shashikiran H C, ShivaprasadShetty, PrashanthShetty, Chethan Kumar R. A Study on Influence of Yoga on Autonomic Variables on Young Adults. IJIRD 2015; 4 (2); 267-274
- BalakrishnaShetty, Geetha B S, PrashanthShetty, ManjulaShantaram. Effect of Naturopathic Fasting Therapy on Hematological Indices and Serum Lipid Profile in Healthy Individuals. RJPBCS 2015; 6(2):1295-1299
- Lathamani K and SubbannayyaKotigadde. Biofilm Formation and its Correlation with ESBL Production in KlebsiellaPneumoniae Isolated from a Tertiary Care Hospital. IJSR 2015; 4 (4): 2031-2033
- Geetha B. Shetty, A. Mooventhan. Effect of Naturopathy and Yogic Intervention, Over 6 Years on Weight Management in a Patient with Obesity. A case report. Journal of Obesity and Metabolic Research. 2015;2(2)
- Shashikiran H C, PrashanthShetty, Chethan Kumar R, ShivaprasadShetty. Effect of Yoga on Autonomic Functions in Medical Students: a Pilot Study. International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2015; 3(5), 1047
- SrishilaChaugala, PrashanthShetty, Shashikiran H C, Chethan Kumar R, ShivaprasadShetty, SumangalaBiswagar. A Study on Influence of Yoga on Balance and Gait Deficits among Alcoholics. IJIRD 2015; 4(4), 277
- Mooventhan, A and Geetha B Shetty. Effect of Integrative Naturopathy and Yoga Therapies in Patient with Metabolic Syndrome. International Journal of Health and Allied Sciences. 2015; 218-248.46.167
- Geetha B. Shetty, PrashanthShetty, BalakrishnaShetty. Immediate effect of cold spinal bath on autonomic and Respiratory variables in hypertensives. WJPMR 2016;2(5):236-240.
- Jyothy Elizabeth Pullan, Sujatha K, PrashanthShetty, Geetha B Shetty. Comparative Study on Effect of Moist Heat Therapy and Acupuncture as an Adjuvant to a Comprehensive Naturopathy Treatment in Management of Chronic Neck Pain-A Randomized Control Trial. IOSR-JDMS 2016;15(9):139-144.
- ChunchuSandeep, Dr. Shivaprasad k, Dr. PrashanthShetty. Effects Of Yoga Nidra (Psychic Sleep) On Alcohol Dependent Individuals – A Randomized Control Trial. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS) 2016;15(9):08-13.
- Dushyant Kumar, DR.Sujatha K J, DR. PrashanthShetty. Comparative Study on the Effect of Hot Mud Application and Mustard Application in Patients with Osteoarthritis of Knee. Randomized Controlled Trial. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS) 2016:15(9):13-19.
- N V Gnanadeep T, Dr. Sujatha Dinesh, Dr. PrashanthShetty. Effect of Mud Bath on Autonomic and Respiratory Variables in Normal Healthy Volunteers- A Randomized Control Trial. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS) 2016:15(9);58-64.
- KanakSoni, Dr. PrashanthShetty, Dr. Sujatha K.J. A Comparative Study on Effects of Neutral and Cold Underwater Massage on the Physiological Parameters of Healthy Individuals. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS) 2016:15(9);32-36.
- Geethanjali M C, ShettyPrashanth, ShettyShivaprasad, K Selvakumar, GanesanLakshmeesh DR. Effect of Yogic Kriyas in Patients with Migraine: A Randomized Controlled Trial. International Journal of Yoga and Allied Sciences 2016:5(1);11-17
- Geetha B Shetty, PrashanthShetty,BalakrishnaShetty. Immediate effect of Cold Spinal Bath on Autonomic and Respiratory Variables in Hypertensives. WJPMR 2016;2(5):236-240.
- Jyothy Elizabeth Pullan ,Sujatha K , PrashanthShetty, Geetha B Shetty. Comparative Study on Effect of Moist Heat Therapy and Acupuncture as an Adjuvant to a Comprehensive Naturopathy Treatment in Management of Chronic Neck Pain-A Randomized Control Trial. IOSR-JDMS 2016 Sep; 15(9). ISSN: 2279-0861
- Raghavendra P, Shetty P, Shetty S, Manjunath NK, Saoji AA. Effect of high-frequency yoga breathing on pulmonary functions in patients with asthma: A randomized clinical trial. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2016 Nov;117(5):550-551
- BalakrishnaShetty,Geetha B. Shetty, Manjunath NK, ManjulaShantaram. Effect of Integrated Yoga Practices on Anthropometric Measures, Serum Lipid Profile and Oxidative Stress Status in Obese Adults. Indian Journal of Applied research 2017 Jan; 7(1):942-44.
- Mooventhan A. Shetty GB. Effect of Integrative Naturopathy and Yoga in a Patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis Associated with Type 2 Diabetes and Hypertension. Ancient Sci Life2017; 36:163-6.
- PrashanthShetty, BNYS, MSc, PhD; Kiran Kumar Reddy B, BNYS, MD; D R Lakshmeesha, BNYS, MD; Shiva Prasad Shetty, BNYS, MSc; Selva Kumar G, BNYS; Ryan Bradley, ND, MPH Effects of Sheetali and Sheetkari Pranayamas on Blood Pressure and Autonomic Function in Hypertensive Patients. Integrative M 24 edicine • Vol. 16, No. 5 • October 2017
- NirajNayan Rishi, Dr. Ganesh Prasad, Dr. Shiva Prasad Shetty, Dr. PrasanthShetty. Immediate effect of aum chanting on anxiety, reaction time in healthy individuals – a randomized controlled trial. iaetsd journal for advanced research in applied sciences. Volume 4, issue 6, nov/2017
- Govindakumar, Dr. PrashanthShetty, Dr. Sujatha K.J. A Comparative Study to Evaluate the Immediate And Prolonged Effect of Full Mud Bath And Full Body Massage on Heart Rate Variability in Healthy Volunteers. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS) e-ISSN: 2279-0853, p-ISSN: 2279-0861.Volume 16, Issue 10 Ver. XII (Oct. 2017), PP 69-79
- Ashwin V.P, Dr. PrashanthShetty, Dr. Sujatha K.J. Immediate Effect of whirlpool Bath on Autonomic Functions in Healthy Volunteers. IOSR-JDMS. Volume 16, Issue 10 Ver. XIII (Oct. 2017), PP 01-12
- Rabin LalShreshta and Sujatha K J. Effect of cold hip bath on autonomic variables in healthy individuals – a randomized controlled trail. J Res Educ Indian Med, 2017; 23
- Avanthika G, Dr. Sujatha K J, Dr. PrashanthShetty. Immediate Effect of Cold and Neutral Spinal Spray on Autonomic Functions In Healthy Volunteers – A Comparative Study. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Science, Volume 16, Issue 11 Ver. VI (Nov. 2017), PP 18-24
- Prashant Shetty, Jyotsna K J, Sujatha K J. Immediate Effect of Cold Chest Pack on Autonomic Functions in Healthy Individuals – A Randomised Controlled Trial. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences,Volume 16, Issue 9 Ver. I (Sep. 2017), PP 07-11
- JishaMol K. R., Dr. GeethaKumari V., Dr. PrashanthShetty, Dr. Sujatha K. J. and Mr.BalakrishnaShetty. “Effect of steam inhalation and acupuncture on subjects with chronic rhino sinusitis” a randomized controlled trial. wjpmr, 2017,3(11), 131-135
- Shiva Prasad Shetty, Dr. Nandeesh N.S, Dr. PrashanthShetty. Effect of yoga on Gunas among healthy individuals- A controlled wait list comparative study. IAETSD JOURNAL FOR ADVANCED RESEARCH IN APPLIED SCIENCES. VOLUME 4, ISSUE 6, NOV/2017
- Anupama C.M, Dr. Shiva Prasad Shetty, Dr. PrashanthShettty. Immediate effect of slow and fast ‘suryanamaskar’ on autonomic functions in healthy volunteers – self as a control study. IAETSD Journal for advanced research in applied sciences, volume 4, issue 6, nov/2017
- Bharti Singh Rathore, Dr. Shiva Prasad K, Dr. PrashanthShetty. Effect of yoga nidra on anxiety, stress & pain inprimary dysmenorrhoea – a randomized controlled trial. IAETSD Journal for advanced research in applied sciences, volume 4, issue 6, nov/2017
- ShivaramGannamani, Dr. Shiva Prasad Shetty, Dr. PrasanthShetty. Effect of suryanamaskara on constipation a randomized controlled trial. IAETSD Journal for advanced research in applied sciences, volume 4, issue 6, nov/2017
- Archanah T, Shashikiran H. C, PrashanthShetty, Chandrakanth K. K. Effect of a hydrotherapy based alternate compress on osteoarthritis of the knee joint: a randomized controlled trial. Int J Res Med Sci. 2018 Apr;6(4):1444-1449
- SanasamMeetali, Shashikiran H. C, PrashanthShetty, Ganesh Prasad, Chandrakanth K. K. Effect of a plant versus animal based diet on lipid profile of yoga practicing medical students: a pilot study. Int J Res Med Sci. 2018 Apr;6(4):1207-1210
- Vama Jain, PrashanthShetty, Shashikiran H. C and ShivaprasadShetty. Efficacy of yoga & naturopathic intervention versus conventional medical management on quality of life among alcohol dependent individuals – a pilot study. ejbps, 2018, Volume 5, Issue 7, 393-399
- Harshitha S, PrashanthShett, Shashikiran H. C and Ganesh Prasad. Comparative study of bitter gourd juice, ash gourd juice and knol-khol juice on blood glucose level among type II Diabetes mellitus – a pilot study. ejbps, 2018, Volume 5, Issue 7, 400-404
No. of paper presentations
|Sl. No||Name of the faculty||Title of the paper||Sate/National/International||Date and place of presentation|
|1||Dr. Geetha B. Shetty||Evidence based review of Naturopathy treatment for obesity & Dyslipidemia||National||SDMCNYS, Ujire|
|2||Dr. Geetha B. Shetty||Effect of yogic intervention on serum lipid profile and oxidative stress in obese adults||International||S VYASA, Bengaluru|
|3||Dr. Geetha B. Shetty||Effect of Naturopathy and yoga on thyroid profile and antioxidant status in obese hypothyroid adults||International||Jindal, INYS, Bengaluru|
|4||Mr. BalakrishnaShettty||Effect of naturopathy and yoga on serum thyroid profile and oxidative stress levels in obese hypothyroid adults||National||SDMCNYS, Ujire|